An exciting opportunity has arisen for Data Engineer to build and maintain the data flows and data acquisition processes to deliver well structured, efficient and well performing data marts to drive business analysis and processes.
Reports to the Data Engineering Leads for direction in terms of priorities or technical support. Support the Data Engineering Manager through delivery of projects/work within deadlines, prompt escalation of risks or issues and ensuring that day to day activities are delivered within SLA's.
- Building and maintaining the business data marts and data assets that will drive the BI, Analysis, Regulatory Reporting and Analytics activities for the organization.
- Having a keen eye for detail, ensuring that the data produced is accurate and can be used as the source of the 'truth'.
- Striving for technical excellence. Ensuring that the built within EDS is well structured, efficient and extensible. Build the data assets that the business want to use time and again.
- Being proficient in multiple and emerging technologies. SAS DI Studio, Pentaho and Amazon Presto are just a few of the skill sets that you'll build within the area.
- Using technology in Industry Best Practice ways. Build data flows which take full advantage of the technologies we have.
- Building safe Data Flows. Ensure that there are fit for purpose validations and controls in our Data Flows in order to evidence control across the area.
- Automating everything that we do. Work with our EDS colleagues and CIO to ensure that we build robust, automated solutions to drive the best use of Data Engineering time.
- Measuring everything that we do. Work with Data Operations to ensure that any checks and measures are embedded into our Data Flows to evidence the accuracy and timeliness of our data.
- Aligning to Data Governance Principles. Work with Data Governance to build, monitor and maintain fit for purpose documentation such as Data Dictionaries and Entity Relationship Diagrams for our databases and data assets.
- Maintenance of existing Data Flows. Make changes to Data Flows as necessary to ensure they run smoothly or to enhance them as required by the business. Follow well-structured version control methods to ensure that we can roll back to previous versions and can maintain an audit trail of changes made.
- Building a strong Risk culture within Data Engineering. Identifying operational and strategic risks and ensuring that these are managed and recorded within the Risk Management Framework.
- Working in an Agile way to collaborate towards the delivery of new data solutions for a wide range of stakeholders.
Desirable skills. Experience in all the areas below are not required. However, the ideal candidate would possess some of these:
- Experience in SAS DI Studio
- Experince in SQL
- Experience in Cloud based ETL tools such as Pentaho/Talend an advantage
- Strong ETL Skills
- Data Analysis/Profiling
- Real Time Data Flows
- Batch based data load
- Problem Solving (technical, database)
- Data Management
- Data Modeling/Data Model Interpretation
- Database/Data Solution Design
- Results driven with excellent people skills
- Able to build relationships at all levels across the business.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to adapt to a changeable environment.
- An eye for detail, striving for accuracy.
- Java and other programming languages an advantage.
Please apply online for immediate consideration.
Follow Us: We post updates, vacancies & industry news on a daily basis on Twitter (@beITresourcing @PhilpAlastair) and LinkedIn