Are you a recent graduate in a discipline related to Software Engineering? Do you want the opportunity to kick-start your career cutting code for a software house developing critical front-line software for the financial services industry?
The Graduate Software Developer will become part of the Software Delivery team helping to develop product and bespoke Client changes, including integrations to third-party systems and configuration changes required by Client implementations. Most of their time will be spent doing development work, working to an agile development methodology based on SCRUM. You will also be expected to work closely with all members of the team (both business and technical) to design, validate and deliver a stable, scalable and quality software that meets the requirements of the business team.
What we need from you is demonstrable experience in the following areas:
- Educated to degree level in a discipline related to Software Engineering.
- Strong comprehension of software design, implementation and deployment.
- Good understanding of all and in-depth working knowledge of most of:
- OO design
- SQL and relational databases (e.g. SQL Server)
- Web services
- Windows operating system
- XML, XSD and XSLT
- HTML and CSS
- Design patterns
- Dependency injection
- Unit testing (MS-Test)
- Experience of using Visual Studio and Source Control, preferably TFS
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to problem solve.
- Ability to accurately record information (e.g. incident details, requirements, results).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; resolute but diplomatic.
- Ability to work on own initiative and under instruction, to tight deadlines, under pressure and without compromising quality.
- Proactive and highly disciplined with drive, energy and enthusiasm as well as a ‘can do, will do’ approach.
- Flexibility in role, approach and skills.
The responsibilities around this role include:
- Solution designs and technical designs in the agreed formats that meet the agreed functional and business requirements.
- High quality software delivered within agreed timescales.
- Code implementation that conforms to agreed standards and meets the solution and technical designs.
- Design, develop and test (unit, integration, component and system) assigned tasks in accordance with the agreed architecture, solution design and technical design whilst adhering to all relevant design, coding and quality standards.
- Perform defect analysis and provide full detailed feedback.
- Resolve assigned defects capturing all appropriate information.
- Follow an agile development methodology based on SCRUM, keeping ALM up-to-date with progress.
- Take responsibility for completing assigned tasks according to the agreed timescale providing regular feedback on progress and alerting the Delivery Lead to any risk to a timely delivery.
- Ensure that you fully understand the functional and business requirements of the work that you are undertaking.
- Ensure the design considers or uses the reference model architecture and reusable code/components.
- Develop and maintain a reasonable understanding of web development using the Focus proprietary technology and be able to make changes where required.
- Develop and maintain a good understanding of the key features and data model of key products.
- Work collaboratively with the other teams and disciplines to ensure that high quality software is produced that meets the needs of our customers.
- Maintain a keen interest in evolving technologies and industry practices to support continued improvement of our processes, development and delivery capabilities.
- Develop configurable and reusable code.
The business you will be joining:
A renowned software house who provide front-line software solutions for the financial services industry.
The business works with leading financial advisors at both firm and network level, retail and high street banks, products providers and mortgage lenders, with notable customers and business partners.
With a strong track record of providing expert advice and business automation, CRM, training and competence, and financial planning solutions, they deliver high value solutions across a broad range of products such as investments, pensions, protection, mortgages and general insurance.
Offering a proven core platform which sits at the heart of their clients’ business as well as specialist on-demand tools, they create and deliver highly complex, involved software products.
Interested and want to apply?
Garry Burns at Be-IT Resourcing is the man to contact for a confidential discussion on this role and your suitability - 0131 344 4789 | firstname.lastname@example.org