Senior Operations Engineer
Do you value team work and a work/life balance? Are you a talented Operations Engineer who would like to work as part of our clients Infrastructure team, squashing single points of failure, fixing bottlenecks, profiling load and solving interesting scaling and automation problems. Do you have a pragmatic approach to your work and constantly strive to progress? Yes? Then please get in touch with us asap.
Our client offers multiple training opportunities, a chance to build a brilliant career in a forward-thinking organisation and a long list of benefits including: 33 days’ hols / private health insurance / 5% pension / income protection insurance / life assurance + more.
Be-IT is working in a close cooperation with a highly progressive and customer-focused software company that provides high-class cloud-based SaaS solutions to a sizeable and growing client base globally. Working from stunning offices in the heart of Edinburgh this company offers a friendly and progressive environment to work in.
The Infrastructure team is responsible for the application in production at all levels in our client’s stack. Being this flexible means they’ve achieved near 100% uptime over the past year (99.99%) whilst performing daily code deployments, countless database migrations and, every quarter, a complete DR flip between our physical data-centres.
- Support the smooth running and uptime of our external and internal production systems
- Support the path-to-production for our frequent changes to application code and data
- Maintaining our disaster-recovery and data backup processes
- Conduct peer reviews of infrastructure and configuration changes
- Be actively involved in the continuous evolution of our systems and infrastructure, from small tweaks to epic changes
- Work alongside the wider engineering team planning and developing new features
- Participate in our 24/7 emergency on-call rota
- Ensure no single points of failure are introduced so out-of-hours calls stay rare
- Configuration management technologies - we don't configure servers by hand, instead we use Puppet and Terraform
- Production problem solving and performance optimisation - things break or slow down and it's good to find out why. We accept that nothing can be perfect and value the time spent digging deep to really try and understand issues
- Experience setting up and supporting production services using public cloud (AWS).
- Production experience managing relational databases. We run MySQL and have databases with hundreds of millions of rows, perform routine online schema changes and periodic DR tests and rely on master-master replication to keep our site online throughout
- Knowledge of network concepts, architectures and debugging - we run our own servers and networking in multiple locations and use dynamic routing protocols to ship traffic between logically isolated networks of virtual machines
- Understanding of common network protocols - and someone who can find their way around an RFC
- Communications skills - we're all constantly learning and like to encourage the sharing of knowledge across our engineering team
- Security awareness - you understand the importance of security best practices and know how to establish a robust set of defences
Please apply online for immediate consideration.
Follow Us: We post updates, vacancies & industry news on a daily basis on Twitter (@beITresourcing