Be-IT is currently working with a large software and analytics company based in Glasgow. They are looking for a Senior Technical Writer to join them at this interesting time.
The Senior Technical Writer works with members of Product House (product management, engineering, quality assurance, content development, and enablement) and SCRUM teams to develop topic-based content for products. The Senior Technical Writer has an in-depth knowledge of technical writing principles, tools, practices, and procedures. The Senior Technical Writer works under minimal supervision and assists less experienced writers with style and technical issues.
The Senior Technical Writer creates clear, concise technical content deliverables using minimalism and topic-based writing standards to support software applications. Content deliverables may include product documentation, online help, and release notes. A Senior Technical Writer provides coordination, control, and project management for assigned projects.
In what areas will you perform?
- Performs needs analyses to understand user goals and objectives and identifies appropriate content deliverables for assigned projects.
- Researches projects using all available sources of information (e.g., system requirement specifications, use cases, interviews with subject matter experts).
- Researches, analyzes, and implements content development projects, including scope and schedule of content deliverables.
- Assists in development and maintenance of content development processes and standards, recommending changes required to match or surpass industry standards
- Initiates contact with project management and technical experts to conduct advance planning.
- Acts as a project lead, directing the work of other members to meet project deadlines.
- Writes and revises content deliverables (e.g., online help, guides, and release notes) per approved content plans, ensuring content deliverables adhere to established standards.
- Prepares content deliverables for deployment and distribution in document tracking repositories following established processes.
- Responds to requests for content updates based on identified defects, product enhancements, root cause analysis findings, etc. to help ensure we deliver high quality products to our customers.
- Provides peer edits for other writers, editing for content, style, copyediting, and proofreading accuracy. Reviews for adherence to established standards.
- Provides substantive editing for other content developers, reviewing content deliverables for mechanics, organization, logic, presentation, completeness, and consistency.
- Coordinates informal and formal reviews with subject matter experts and other applicable product team members.
- Regularly reports project status; recognizes potential problems and promptly reports issues to Content Development Manager.
Skills & Experience
- Significant experience in technical writing in a software development environment
- Ability to handle multiple projects and tasks whilst adhering to project schedules and deadlines
- Ability to resolve conflicts caused by competing priorities
- Ability to understand and use the software that is being documented
- Ability to quickly analyze the impact of development changes on a content development project and adjust workload appropriately.
- Experience with Agile in a SCRUM environment
- Knowledge of authoring tools such as MadCap Flare, RoboHelp and FrameMaker
- XML using the DITA standard/Topic-based writing methodology.
- Experience using JIRA/Confluence and SharePoint is desired.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills
- Strong organisational skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to assist others
Qualifications & Accreditations
- Degree in Technical Communication, English, Journalism or Computer Technology.
Please apply online for immediate consideration.
Follow Us: We post updates, vacancies & industry news on a daily basis on Twitter (@beITresourcing @PhilpAlastair) and LinkedIn